Grab a sheet of paper and write down your daily routine. You probably have work requirements listed, family obligations, and maybe some time with your significant other or friends. You might have slid a workout into your routine, and that is wonderful, but it is time for you to make an appointment with yourself to improve your mental and emotional, physical, and spiritual health.
Schedule “me time” in these three realms, based on how much time you have. Taking time to care for yourself will improve your mood, broaden your mind, and even help you get a better night’s sleep.
Ideas are below! Share what you will be adding to your schedule in the comments!
Improve your mental and emotional health:
If you have 5-10 minutes:
- During your shower think positively about the day ahead
- Pet your pets. Focus only on stroking the animal.
- Look at the clouds while you enjoy your morning cup of coffee. No phone allowed.
If you have 30 minutes:
- Write a letter to a loved one
- Call a friend and chat
- Read one chapter of a book
If you have 1 hour:
- Schedule a friend date
- Join a book club or other hobby group
- Join a therapy group
Improve your physical health:
- Take a walk around the block or up and down the stairs in your office
- Do a cycle of pushups, crunches, and squats
- Drink more water. Write it in your schedule.
- Go for a brisk walk
- Ride your bike
- Take the time to make your lunch for the next day
- Go for a hike
- Take a fitness class
- Take a cooking class
Improve your spiritual health:
- Light a candle and meditate on its flickering light
- Pray in the few minutes before turning out your light and falling asleep
- Silence your phone. Close your eyes. Breathe deeply, focusing on your breath
- Read a devotional or prayer
- Read a religious text
- Attend a religious service
- Join a small group
Written by Catherine Clubb-Brown, intern
Photo courtesy of fivegoblogging.blogspot.com
http://www.expressivetherapist.com/group-activities.html “Daily Schedule” activity